How long does the program take?

Full-time LL.M. students can expect to complete the degree requirements in one academic year. Part-time students have up to 6 years to complete the degree.

May I attend part-time?

In the Health, Intellectual Property, Taxation and Sustainable International Development LL.M. programs, students may attend part-time.

The Asian Law, Global Business and General Law LL.M. programs are primarily designed for full-time study, but part time attendance is possible.

Can I take law courses as a graduate non-matriculated student?

In some circumstances we can accept GNM students. Review the GNM options and admissions requirements.

Can I start in any quarter?

Students in all programs (except Taxation) are expected to start at the beginning of Autumn quarter.

Taxation: International students may only begin in Autumn quarter. Domestic students may also begin Winter or Spring quarter, but may be limited in their choice of classes, as many prerequisites are only offered during Autumn quarter.

Do you have a concurrent J.D./LL.M. option for current J.D. students?

Yes. Application procedures remain the same as for external applicants. Concurrent students may take up to 12 credits of classes to count toward both their J.D. and LL.M. degrees.

Health, Intellectual Property and Taxation: Candidates may apply as concurrent students in Autumn, Winter, or Spring quarters. During this time, concurrent students are charged J.D. tuition for Health, Intellectual Property or Taxation classes. Classes taken beyond the first 12 credits will only count toward the LL.M. degree, and concurrent students will be charged the individual program fees for their courses.

Asian Law, Global Business, Sustainable International Development and General: J.D. students may apply for concurrent enrollment at the end of their 1L or 2L year. For detailed information see the J.D./LL.M. Concurrent degree page.

How many credits are required to complete the LL.M.?

All programs require a minimum of 40 credit hours of study, with the exception of the Graduate Program in Taxation, which requires a minimum of 36. For the Health and Intellectual Property programs, foreign-trained students interested in taking a state bar examination should anticipate taking around 45 quarter hours of course credit to complete the LL.M. degree. For the Tax program, foreign-trained students interested in taking a state bar examination should anticipate taking 16-18 credits in addition to the minimum requirement of 36 credits. Asian & Comparative Law, Global Business Law, Sustainable International Development Law and General Law LL.M. students interested in taking a state bar exam can typically fulfill the bar exam's curriculum requirements within the program's required 40 quarter credit hours of study.

How many credits do I take per quarter?

Full-time students generally take 12-15 credits per quarter depending on their program's requirements.

Can LL.M. students take courses in other university departments?

Students may also take an approved course numbered 400 or higher offered elsewhere at the University of Washington that relates to their course of study, upon approval from the program.

Do you accept credit from other LL.M. or graduate programs?

Asian Law, Global Business, Sustainable International Development, General Law and Taxation: If the program approves a credit transfer (on a case-by-case basis), the student may then petition the Graduate School for permission to transfer to the University of Washington the equivalent of a maximum of 6 quarter credits of graduate level course work taken at another recognized academic institution. These credits may not have been used to satisfy requirements for another degree. The policy can be found in section of the Graduate School’s Degree Requirements. Credit transfers cannot be approved until after a student joins and begins their studies.

Health and Intellectual Property: No.

My current degree will not be completed before the application deadline; am I eligible?

Applicants with degrees in-progress at the time their application is submitted are considered eligible if they are on track to complete the degree by the time their intended program starts. The UW verifies these degrees after students accept offers of admission.

Who is considered an international applicant?

For the purpose of admissions, anyone who will need an F or J visa in order to study here should apply by the international deadline of Feb. 15 (except for the Ph.D. Program, which has an April 1 deadline for all applicants). Applicants who have any other status that permits them to study in the United States have until the domestic deadline. Applicants who have been educated in other countries (foreign-trained) are considered "international" if they need an F or J visa, and they are considered "domestic" if they do not need an F or J visa. H visa holders with reasons to switch to F or J status should apply by the international deadline.

Do my transcripts need to be translated into English?

Yes, all transcripts submitted in applications must be accompanied by an English translation if they are not in English. Transcript records must include coursework with grades issued for each course. Applicants who join a program at the UW will be required to have their official transcript sent in, with a translation, for verification. Translations must be literal, complete versions of original records, and translated fully and accurately by a university, government official, or an official translation service authorized to translate academic documents. You cannot do your own translation.

Can applications be deferred?

Yes, but only one time, only if an offer of admission has been made, and only if both the admissions committee and UW Graduate School approve the deferral. To request a deferral after an offer of admission has been made, applicants can send an email to For students using English proficiency tests to satisfy the English proficiency requirement, the test score must be valid (no older than two years) on the date that our admissions committee petitions to defer. If the test score is expired when deferral is requested, a new test must be submitted.

What are the tuition rates and funding options for an LL.M.?

Please review the Tuition and Fees page and the Financial Aid and Scholarships page for funding information.

Will an LL.M. degree qualify me to take a U.S. state bar examination?

An LL.M. degree by itself will not make a student eligible to sit for a state bar examination. Each of the seven LL.M. programs can be modified to qualify a foreign-trained law graduate to sit for certain state bar examinations if the following are met:

  1. the student meets the individual state bar requirements regarding their foreign-legal education prior to beginning their LL.M. program and
  2. the student takes certain electives during their LL.M. program to meet the state requirements.

UW School of Law students interested in becoming eligible for a state bar examination should contact their LL.M. program to learn more about the process.

UW School of Law Licensure Disclosure