UW law students with a military background are eligible for a number of opportunities that will help fund their legal education:

  • All students may apply for need-based and merit-based grants and scholarships.
  • UW veterans may receive benefits via the Post-9/11 GI Bill and other government programs. You may check your eligibility on the VA's website.
  • Some veterans may qualify for tuition waivers through the Washington State tuition waiver program.
  • The Tillman Military Scholars Program provides scholarships to veterans pursuing a graduate or professional degree.

For more information about how to most effectively use your military benefits, please contact the University of Washington's Veterans Center.

International Students

The following are a few possible sources of financial assistance for international students:

  • Study Abroad/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
  • IEFA - International Education Financial Aid
  • IIE Online - Institute of International Education
  • FastWeb!
  • UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization

For female international students:

  • American Association of University Women
  • Australian Federation of University Women Fellowship Fund
  • International Federation of University Women (Scholarships for women from Australia, France, Great Britain, India, Israel, Japan, Norway, South Africa, Switzerland and USA)
  • Japanese Association of University Women

Other opportunities:

  • Arthur C. Helton Fellowship Program "micro-grants" for students in Human Rights area
  • DAAD Scholarships for German Citizens
    Daimler Benz Foundation (Stipends for German doctoral students studying in the U.S.)
  • Ford Foundation International Fellowships Program (IFP)
  • Fulbright Grants for Students from Turkey
  • Fulbright Program for Students from the Middle East and North Africa
  • Golden Key National Honor Society Member Scholarships
  • Inter-American Agency for Cooperation and Development (IACD) of the Organization of American States (OAS) Graduate Fellowships Program
  • Kosciuszko Foundation Fellowships & Grants for Polish Citizens
  • Mackenzie King Scholarships for Canadians
  • Organization of Istanbul Armenians Scholarship
  • Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarships
  • World Bank Group Family Network - Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund (click on MMMF in the right column)
  • World Bank Scholarships Program

Undocumented Students

The following list of online resources may be helpful to undocumented students applying for a JD program in Washington State:

  • American Association of University Women: International fellowships for women who are not US citizens or permanent residents
  • DREAMer's Roadmap: Mobile app that helps undocumented students find scholarships
  • eduPASS: Information for international/non-resident students who are considering higher education in the United States
  • Institute of International Education: Multiple sources of financial aid for international students, including the Foreign Fulbright Program, publications, organizations, loans and general information about studying in the U.S.
  • MALDEF: MALDEF's list of scholarships that do not require immigration status or a SSN
  • My (Un)Documented Life: Information and resources for undocumented immigrants
  • Ready Set Grad: Information on eligibility for Washington Application for State Financial Aid - aid for students who are ineligible for federal financial aid due to immigration status
  • Real Hope Washington: Information and resources for undocumented students on paying resident-rate tuition in Washington State
  • UW Undocumented Resources: List of scholarships for undocumented students
  • United We Dream: DEEP Resources and information for undocumented students

American Indian Students

American Indian or Native American students are eligible to pay resident tuition at UW Law if:

  • For a period of one year immediately prior to enrollment at a state institution of higher education, students must have been domiciled in one or a combination of the following states: Idaho, Montana, Oregon, or Washington;
  • Students must be a member of one of the federally recognized Indian tribes, as determined under Title 25 of the Code of Federal Regulations (25CFR), whose traditional and customary tribal boundaries included portions of the state of Washington, or whose tribe was granted reserved lands within the state of Washington.

For additional information and the process, please visit the American Indian Students page.

Connect with us:

© Copyright 2018, All Rights Reserved University of Washington School of Law

4293 Memorial Way Northeast, Seattle, WA 98195