Graduate Funding Information Services (GFIS)

GFIS is a resource that current and admitted UW graduate students can use to find funding sources. For students who are new to securing sources of funding, the GFIS Funding Resource Guide contains valuable information regarding sources of graduate funding. It is advantageous to explore GFIS early to find the best funding package for your needs. GFIS recommends starting funding searches 9 to 12 months before award dates.

Tuition Waivers

International applicants (F and J visa status only) to the to the Asian & Comparative, Global Business, SID and General LL.M. programs may apply for tuition waiver scholarships. A small number of these financial assistance awards are made each year and can be applied for after submitting and paying for an application for admission, in the scholarship consideration section of the UW Graduate School’s Post-Submission Questions form (applicants who’ve applied through LSAC will need to log into their UW portal to access this Post-Submissions Questions form).

Barer Institute Fellowship

Applicants from lower- and middle-income developing countries with an interest in health, education and economic development issues should consider submitting an application to the Barer Institute Fellowship.

IP LL.M. Program

An extremely limited amount of program-based financial assistance is available, and the amount varies from year to year. To be eligible, a student must be enrolled as a full-time student in this LL.M. program. Scholarship assistance is only awarded annually so students who wish to be considered for assistance are encouraged to include their financial assistance consideration request in their online application describing their merit and financial circumstances.

Tax LL.M. Only

UW Graduate Tax Scholar

The Graduate Program in Taxation awards a limited number of merit-based scholarships annually for domestic students applying for the autumn quarter. All applicants applying on or before July 1 are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships.

Roland Hjorth Scholarship

This scholarship, named after Dean Emeritus and legendary tax professor, Roland Hjorth, is awarded for academic excellence. Up to two Roland Hjorth scholarships may be awarded each year.

Need-Based Scholarship

The Graduate Program in Taxation also offers a limited number of need-based scholarships for applicants applying for autumn quarter. If you would like to be considered for a need-based scholarship, please submit a statement (up to two pages, double-spaced) addressing how you plan to utilize an LL.M. in Taxation to further your professional and personal goals. Please also address any financial circumstances that limit your ability to attend the Graduate Program in Taxation. In order to be considered for need-based scholarships, applicants must submit a statement as part of the application to the program.

All Students: Loans

Federal Loans

Eligible students may submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for federal student aid. There are two basic loan options for graduate and professional students:

  1. Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
  2. Federal Direct Graduate Plus Loan

The Direct Unsubsidized Loan is capped annually at $20,500 and the remaining cost of attendance may be covered by the Grad Plus Loan. To receive federal student aid, students must be enrolled each quarter for at least half-time enrollment (5 credits if you are in the M.J., Ph.D. or LL.M. programs).

We strongly encourage students to submit a FAFSA by Feb. 28, the University's priority deadline and list our federal school code 003798 to receive the best financial aid package available. We also encourage students to submit a FAFSA regardless of whether they intend to borrow any federal aid so that the University may assess them for need-based funding. Students are able to submit a FAFSA after this date; however, they will not be given priority consideration for aid.

Please note that students working towards a master's or doctorate degree  are considered independent for purposes of federal student aid.

Visit the UW Office of Financial Aid to get started. [make sure this hyperlink is inserted:]

Private Loans

For students who are ineligible to apply for federal student aid or wish to explore other loan alternatives, private loans may be an option. In general, private loans are loans through commercial lenders that depend on credit worthiness. Please know that borrowing private loans for your education bears a significant risk including the inability to take advantage of any federal loan repayment options, including the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. We encourage students to read the terms and conditions for private loans.

To cover costs associated to preparing for the bar exam, graduating students may consider bar loans, which are primarily offered through commercial lenders, e.g., Sallie Mae, Discover etc.

Federal Work-Study

Eligible students who submitted a FAFSA may request the Office of Student Financial Aid to evaluate them for work-study eligible positions. Work-study eligibility depends on both need and availability. Please contact with any questions about eligibility and the process for evaluation.


Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships support undergraduate, graduate and professional students in acquiring modern foreign languages and area or international studies competencies. Students from all UW departments and schools are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit the Jackson School of International Studies site for details and the application process.

Washington State Need-Based Grants

The University has a limited amount of funding for Washington residents and is always subject to availability. These need-based grants are made annually and require the student to be a Washington state resident and submit their FAFSA by the Feb. 28 priority deadline and list our federal school code 003798 each year. The student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) must also meet the University's need eligibility criteria. The Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) notifies students of this grant eligibility through their financial aid award.