UW Law and the Military
Are you an active duty service member, a reservist, or a US military veteran thinking about law school? We hope you will consider applying to the University of Washington School of Law. Members of the military come to UW with the leadership experience and global vision that help make the law school a dynamic intellectual community, and we look forward to receiving your application.
UW’s curricular breadth, extensive alumni network, and national reputation make it an excellent choice for veterans who want to transition to a career in law. Veterans also receive a number of tuition and financial aid benefits that make UW an attractive option for all veterans.
Veterans are eligible to apply to the JD program after completing a Bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) and taking the Law School Admissions Test. Our Admissions Office is available to you throughout the application process—please be in touch if you have any questions. If you are in the Seattle area, we would love to help arrange a visit of the law school for you. We are also happy to connect you with veterans who are currently pursuing a law degree. For more information on the JD and our other academic programs, follow these links:
Financing a Legal Education
UW law students with a military background are eligible for a number of opportunities that will help fund their legal education:
- All students may apply for need-based and merit-based grants and scholarships.
- UW veterans may receive benefits via the Post-9/11 GI Bill and other government programs. You may check your eligibility on the VA’s website.
- Some veterans may qualify for tuition waivers through the Washington State tuition waiver program.
- The Tillman Military Scholars Program provides scholarships to veterans pursuing a graduate or professional degree.
For more information about how to most effectively use your military benefits, please contact the University of Washington’s Veterans Center.
- View this video by UW's Veterans Education Benefits Certifying Official, Tina Tanaka.
- Our Military Law Association has created a summary guide to your Veterans Benefits.
- Feel free to contact the UW Military Law Association Co-Presidents, Caesar Kalinowski and Neil S. Brown, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the student life experience at UW Law.