Financial Aid

UW Law is dedicated to helping our students meet educational expenses through a variety of options. The law school and the University’s Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) are committed to offering a comprehensive financial aid package to help students achieve their education goals while minimizing student educational debt.

Estimate of Expenses for First Year JD Students

Estimate of expenses for 2017-2018 for 1L students in the JD Program

JD Tuition* 2017-2018
Resident students $33,246
Non-resident students $43,914
 Estimated Other Budgeted Expenses*
Books and supplies $825
Room and board $15,051
Personal expenses $2,265
Transportation $1,296
Estimated Total Cost of Attendance for JD Students*
Resident students $52,257
Non-resident students $62,925

*These figures are subject to change as updated tuition rates are approved by the Board of Trustees in July. For a detailed explanation of tuition and fees, please visit the Office of Planning & Budgeting.

Types of Financial Aid

Student Loans

Federal Loans. Eligible students may submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for federal student aid. There are two basic loan options for graduate and professional students: (1) the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and (2) the Federal Direct Graduate Plus Loan. The Direct Unsubsidized Loan is capped annually at $20,500 and the remaining cost of attendance may be covered by the Grad Plus Loan. Students must be enrolled each quarter for at least half-time enrollment (5 credits if you are in the MJ, PhD or LLM programs ,or 6 credits if you are in the JD program) to receive federal student aid.

We strongly encourage students to submit a FAFSA by January 15--the University’s priority deadline and to list the UW federal school code 003798 to receive the best financial aid package available. Students can submit a FAFSA after this date; however, they will not be given priority consideration.

Private Loans. For students who are ineligible to apply for federal student aid or wish to explore other loan alternatives, private loans may be an option. In general, private loans are loans through commercial lenders that depend on credit worthiness. Please know that borrowing private loans for your education bears a significant risk including the inability to take advantage of any federal loan repayment options, e.g., Public Service Loan Forgiveness. We encourage students to read the terms and conditions for private loans.

Short-Term Loans. The University offers short-term loans to assist students with temporary financial need. These loans are available only to students who are currently attending the University (loans cannot be processed between quarters. Repayment is due by the next quarter, or whenever additional funds arrive on account, whichever comes first. Students may apply for these loans through their MyUW account.

Federal Work-Study

Eligible students who submitted a FAFSA may request the Office of Student Financial Aid to evaluate them for work-study eligible positions. Work-study eligibility depends on both need and availability. Please contact the Work Study Office at with any questions about eligibility and the process for evaluation


Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS). Available for graduate and professional students, FLAS Fellowships support undergraduate, graduate and professional students in acquiring modern foreign languages and area or international studies competencies. Students from all UW departments and schools are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit the Jackson School of International Studies for details, the application process, and deadlines.


Washington State Need-Based Grants. The University has a limited amount of funding available for Washington residents enrolled in state-funded programs. These need-based grants are made annually and require the student to be a Washington State resident, submit their FAFSA by the January 15 priority deadline each year, and the student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) meets the University's need eligibility criteria. The Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) notifies students of this grant eligibility through their financial aid award.


Each program at UW Law has different scholarship opportunities, eligibility, and processes. Please refer to each section for specific scholarship opportunities.

JD Students

Incoming First-Year Student Scholarships. UW Law offers scholarships to incoming first-year students based on merit, need, and other factors. Admitted students are required to submit a scholarship application available through the Admitted Students Portal by March 15 to be considered for scholarships. The scholarship committee reviews scholarship applications and issues awards the week after the deadline.

Continuing Student Scholarships. There are additional scholarship opportunities once students begin the law program. These scholarships may be based on student leadership, academic performance, and areas of interest, e.g., family law, corporate law, intellectual property, public service, and diversity.

William H. Gates Public Service Law Scholarship Program. Separate from the process described above, the Gates Public Service Law (PSL) Scholarship offers five (5) scholarships to students who have demonstrated a strong commitment to public service and intends to use their JD degree in a public service career. This award covers tuition and fees, books, living expenses, and additional financial support. Acceptance of a Gates PSL scholarship represents a commitment on the part of each recipient to work in public service for five years following graduation. Application for the Gates PSL scholarship is separate from the scholarship application procedures described above. Students who intend to apply for the Gates PSL Scholarship must submit their JD application and their Gates PSL Scholarship application by January 15 with no exceptions.

Other Programs

Veterans Education Benefits. Current service members, veterans, and their dependents may be eligible for a number of opportunities that will help fund their legal education including resident tuition at the University of Washington. The Veterans Center offers counseling and guidance on the different financial resources available. Please visit their website along with information from our Military Law Association.

Resident Tuition for American Indians & Alaska Natives. American Indian students are eligible to pay resident tuition rates at the University of Washington if they meet the following two conditions:

  1. For a period of one year immediately prior to enrollment at a state
    institution of higher education the student was domiciled in one or a
    combination of the following states: Idaho, Montana, Oregon, or
  2. The student must be a member of one of the federally recognized
    Indian tribes, as determined under 25 C.F.R., whose traditional and
    customary tribal boundaries included portions of the state of
    Washington, or whose tribe has reserved lands within the state of

Please visit the Residence Classification Office for additional details.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Applicants. U.S. citizenship is not required for applicants to the UW Law, and we welcome applications from all students regardless of citizenship status. If you are an undocumented person living in Washington State, HB 1079 allows you to apply for in-state tuition should you attend the University of Washington. For additional details, please visit the Residence Classification Office.


Connect with us:

© Copyright 2017, All Rights Reserved University of Washington School of Law

4293 Memorial Way Northeast, Seattle, WA 98195