William H. Gates Public Service Law Program Apply to the Gates PSL Scholarship
Applicants to the Gates PSL Scholarship must also have submitted an application for admission to the UW Law JD program.
All application materials (including recommendations) must be sent to email@example.com by January 15, 5 p.m. PST. There are no exceptions.
The components of the application include:
- Personal Information Form
- Cover Letter — 500 words or less
- Essay — 700 words or less
- Resume — Please limit to one page
- Two Letters of Recommendation — Separate and distinct from the JD application
Should you have any questions about the process please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 206-616-3753.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONSElements of the application:
- Personal Information Form - Download and complete.
- Cover Letter – In the letter address why you are applying for the scholarship, your commitment to and experience in public service, and / or why you are a competitive candidate. Please limit the cover letter to 500 words or less.
- Essay – Discuss the factors that shaped your vision and influenced your commitment to public service. The essay is an addition to the personal essay submitted with your JD application which will also be reviewed by the selection committee. Please limit the essay to 700 words or less.
- Resume – Prepare a resume that highlights your public service.
- E-mail to recommenders -- Please include the following wording in your communication to your recommenders:
Please prepare the Letter of Recommendation on official institution letterhead, include your full name and title in the signature section, and save as a PDF.
In your letter please respond to the following questions regarding the applicant’s qualifications and abilities:
1) How long, in what connection, and how well have you known the applicant?
2) Please evaluate the applicant's commitment to public service. That commitment is evidenced not only the applicant's public service activities in high school, college, graduate school, or career, but also by the applicant's personal qualities of tenacity, idealism, leadership and initiative in the conduct of such activities.
3) Does the applicant have special abilities to serve or represent groups or interests lacking access to law and lawyers (such special abilities as language skills, cultural familiarity, insight into a subgroups derived from living experiences)?
4) Does the applicant have special intellectual or personal strengths or acquired expertise relevant to conduct of and leadership of public service activities?
E-mail the PDF directly to email@example.com.
Please use the following format for the subject field of the e-mail.
Last Name Applicant, First Name Applicant – LOR Gates PSL Application
Submitting the application:
Once all of the above items are complete, assemble them into ONE PDF in the following order:
- Personal Information Form
- Cover Letter
PLEASE NOTE: APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS POSTED ONLINE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.