Peer Reviewed Journals & Law Reviews
- Hugh D. Spitzer & Philip A. Talmadge, Amending Codes of Judicial Conduct to Impose Campaign Contribution and Expenditure Limits on Judicial Campaigns, 25 Va. J. Soc. Pol’y & L. 87-121 (2018).
- Hugh D. Spitzer, Model Rule 5.7 and Lawyers in Government Jobs--How Can They Ever Be "Non-Lawyers"?, 30 Geo. J. Legal Ethics 45-72 (2017).
- Hugh Spitzer, Realigning the Governmental/Proprietary Distinction in Municipal Law, 40 Seattle U. L. Rev. 173-215 (2016).
- Hugh D. Spitzer, "Home Rule vs. "Dillon's Rule" for Washington Cities, 38 Seattle U. L. Rev. 809-60 (2015).
- Adam Sherman & Hugh Spitzer, Washington State’s Mandate: The Constitutional Obligation to Fund Post-Secondary Education, 89 Wash. L. Rev. Online 15-46 (2014).
- Hugh Spitzer, Pivoting to Progressivism: Justice Stephen J. Chadwick, the Washington Supreme Court, and Change in Early 20th-Century Judicial Reasoning and Rhetoric, 104 Pac. Nw. Q. 107-21 (2013).
- Hugh D. Spitzer, New Life for the “Criteria Tests” in State Constitutional Jurisprudence: “Gunwall Is Dead--Long Live Gunwall", 37 Rutgers L.J. 1169-1201 (2006).
- Hugh D. Spitzer, Taxes vs. Fees: A Curious Confusion, 38 Gonz. L. Rev. 335-65 (2003).
- Hugh D. Spitzer, Municipal Police Power in Washington State, 75 Wash. L. Rev. 495-518 (2000).
- Hugh D. Spitzer, Which Constitution? Eleven Years of Gunwall in Washington State, 21 Seattle U. L. Rev. 1187-1215 (1998).
- Hugh D. Spitzer, A Washington State Income Tax--Again?, 16 U. Puget Sound L. Rev. 515-70 (1993).
- Hugh Spitzer, An Analytical View of Recent "Lending of Credit" Decisions in Washington State, 8 U. Puget Sound L. Rev. 195-219 (1985).
- Hugh Spitzer, Court Rulemaking in Washington State, 6 U. Puget Sound L. Rev. 31-73 (1982).
- Hugh D. Spitzer, A Survey of the WISHA’s First Months of Operation, 9 Gonz. L. Rev. 639-50 (1974).
Books or Treatises
- Robert F. Utter & Hugh D. Spitzer, The Washington State Constitution (2d ed. Oxford University Press 2013). 309 pages.
- Hugh D. Spitzer, Washington: The Past and Present Populist State, in The Constitutionalism of American States 771-84 (George E. Connor & Christopher W. Hammons eds., 2008).
- Hugh D. Spitzer, Intra-Union Disciplinary Proceedings, in The Labor Relations Law of Canada, Chapter 14 (Richard M. Lyon ed., 1977).
- Hugh D. Spitzer, American Federalism: Punching Holes in the Myth, 84 Wash. L. Rev. 717-21 (2009) (reviewing John D. Nugent, Safeguarding Federalism: How States Protect Their Interests in National Policymaking (2009)).
- Hugh D. Spitzer, Book Review, 40 Publius 563-65 (2010) (reviewing Robert A. Schapiro, Polyphonic Federalism: Toward the Protection of Fundamental Rights (2009)).
- Hugh D. Spitzer & Charles W. Johnson, Theme and Variations, 21 Seattle U. L. Rev. 997-1001 (1998) (reviewing Robert F. Williams, State Constitutional Law: Cases and Materials (2d ed. 1993)).
- Hugh D. Spitzer, Book Review, 18 Urban Law. 284-86 (1986) (reviewing Daniel Jack Chasan, The Fall of the House of WPPSS (1985)).
- Hugh D. Spitzer, Decentralization: How a Hidden Provision in the U.S. Constitution Could Remake America, NWLaw., Apr./May 2018, at 34-39.
- Hugh Spitzer, Trumping Home Rule and Sanctuary Jurisdictions: Constraints on Federal Action to Induce State and Local Collaboration with National Programs, Mun. Law., Nov.-Dec. 2017, at 6-11.
- Hugh D. Spitzer, "Sanctuary Cities" to Find Sanctuary in the Rehnquist and Roberts Courts, Jurist: Commentary (Dec. 30, 2016, 4:24 PM).
- Hugh D. Spitzer, Ethics Issues in Representing Intergovernmental Entities, in Proceedings of the Washington State Association of Municipal Attorneys, Spring Conference 5-1 (2014).
- Hugh D. Spitzer, Revisiting the Client Conundrum: Whom Does Lawyer for a Government Represent, and Who Gives Direction to That Governmental Lawyer? (Univ. of Wash. Sch. of Law Research Paper No. 25-10).
- Scandal Rocks Washington's Supreme Court, NW Law., Apr.-May 2015, at 48-50 (Hugh Spitzer ed.).
- Hugh Spitzer, Organizing Interlocal Entities: What Form Is Best . . . and Does the Interlocal Cooperation Act Need a Rewrite?, in Proceedings of the Washington State Association of Municipal Attorneys, Spring Conference (2013).
- Hugh Spitzer & Doug Ende, On Law and Life in Cuba: The Cuban Legal System and Culture Offer Contrasts and Surprises, Wash. St. B. News, Jan. 2012, at 24-28.
- Hugh Spitzer, A Local Government by Any Other Name, in Proceedings of the Washington State Association of Municipal Attorneys, Fall Conference 7-1 to 7-84 (2009).
- Hugh Spitzer, Take the Initiative on Constitutionality, Wash. St. B. News, Oct. 2000, at 17-18.
- Hugh Spitzer, Why Lawyers Have Often Worn Strange Clothes, Claimed to Work for Free--and Been Hated, Wash. St. B. News, Sept. 20, 2000, at 20, 22, 24, 26, 28-29.
- Hugh Spitzer, Bearing Arms in Washington State, in Proceedings of the Washington State Association of Municipal Attorneys, Spring Conference (1997). 17 pages.
- Hugh Spitzer, Rules Blues: Resurrecting the Judicial Council, Wash. St. B. News, Jan. 1983, at 10-11, 13-15.
- William S. Bailey & Hugh D. Spitzer, Is Washington Ready for Merit Selection of Judges?, Wash. St. B. News, June 1981, at 66-67, 69, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79.
- Hugh Spitzer, Does Rome Have a Lesson for Us?, 66 A.B.A. J. 1226-29 (1980).
- Hugh Spitzer, Law Libraries Losing to "Double Inflation," Wash. St. B. News, Nov. 1980, at 31-35.
- Hugh Spitzer, Opinion, “Aid and Comfort” to Enemies: Trump, Russia and Treason, Seattle Times, July 18, 2018.
- Hugh D. Spitzer, The Best-Kept Secret: How to Find It and Where to Find It: Washington Legal Researcher’s Deskbook, Wash. J., Dec. 19, 1996, at 12.