Applying for a Barer Institute Fellowship
The Barer Institute focuses on the multidisciplinary role of law in promoting health, education and economic development. The goal of the Institute is to utilize lawyers as leaders in providing solutions to pressing development challenges in lower and middle income countries.
Application deadline: March 1, 2019
Candidate criteria include:
- Demonstrated need in the candidate’s home country for improved legal infrastructure in the areas of rule of law and governance, human rights and/or economic development
- A personal statement (1-2 pages) addressing the demonstrated need described above and the candidate’s commitment to and capacity for using the knowledge gained as a Barer Institute Fellow to address that need
- A first degree in law or equivalent
- A commitment to return to the home country
- Strong English skills. The following minimum score is required, (test scores must be less than two years old):
- 580 TOEFL
- 237 TOEFLC
- 92 TOEFLiBT
- Evidence of leadership skills
- At least two letters of recommendation from legal professionals in the home country
- Official transcripts and degree statements
- Résumé or CV
Applicants may be required to participate in an interview via telephone or Skype.
Please email application materials, and any questions you may have, to Barerifl@uw.edu.
Applicants to the Barer Institute Fellowship program need not apply directly for admission to the Sustainable International Development LLM Program. However, applicants who would like to be considered for admission to the SID LLM program and the possibility of a partial tuition scholarship support without full fellowship support may also apply for admission to the Sustainable International Development LLM program.