Asian Law Center Makes New Connections in Southeast Asia
See how a fast-paced itinerary in Vietnam and Thailand by Professor Xuan-Thao Nguyen generated immediate impact in higher ed and private business.
In December 2023, the Asian Law Center (ALC) amplified its network and opportunities in Southeast Asia through the travels of ALC director and Pendleton Miller Chair in Law Xuan-Thao Nguyen, who built upon existing connections in Vietnam and Thailand, and forged new relationships and agreements in high-profile meetings. Over the course of two weeks, her substantial agenda included meetings with the Thai Supreme Court, visiting scholars from Vietnam, UW Law alumni, multiple law school administrators in Hanoi and Bangkok, and the corporate leadership team of the largest construction material business in Thailand.
Professor Nguyen’s itinerary
Friday, December 1
- Flew out to Hanoi, Vietnam
Sunday, December 3
- Met with two Hanoi Law University (HLU) Visiting Scholars, Dr. Nguyen Thu Trang and Le Hang, who are studying at UW Law for the winter and spring quarters
Monday, December 4
- Had a working meeting with HLU leadership to discuss the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with HLU signed in January 2023
- Discussed mentoring the new Visiting Scholars to UW Law, explored UW Law professors' visit in the summer of 2024, and explored collaborations between ALC and HLU faculty members on new initiatives
- HLU published an article immediately after the meeting, (link: Tăng cường các hoạt động hợp tác với Đại học Washington, Hoa Kỳ (hlu.edu.vn)
Tuesday, December 5
- Attended a working meeting with Vietnam National University’s law leadership to discuss a potential MOU with UW Law
- Delivered a lecture on “AI360 Update: Copyright Infringement Class Action, OpenAI, Biden’s Executive Order on AI, and California’s Draft Regulations AI”
Wednesday, December 6
- Conducted a workshop with the civil law faculty on UW Asian Law Center’s Digital Privacy Project
Thursday, December 7
- Traveled to Bangkok
Friday, December 8
- Met with the Thai Supreme Court
- Met with UW alumni law professors at Thai Chamber of Commerce University
- Met with the President and leadership of the Thai Appeal Court for Specialized Cases (Tax, Intellectual Property, International Trade, and Bankruptcy)
- Met with the Chief Justice and leaders of the Central Bankruptcy Court and delivered a lecture titled “When Trademarks Meet Bankruptcy at the Supreme Court” to the judges at a special roundtable
- Visited the Thai Bar Association and held a meeting with Justice Auen Kunkeaw, Head of International Affairs for the Thai Bar Association, to discuss potential collaborations between the UW Asian Law Center and the Court of Justice and the Thai Bar Association.
Saturday, December 9
- Attended a reception for UW Law alumni in Thailand
Monday, December 11
- Attended the signing ceremony for the SCG-UW Agreement. SCG is the largest and oldest construction material company in Thailand and Southeast Asia. SCG selected UW along with other top U.S. universities for SCG employees’ higher education and training in law, engineering, etc. at UW. SCG will pay for their education.
- Traveled to SCG Headquarters on behalf of UW for meetings with Dr. Suracha Udomsak, Chief Innovation Officer, Vikran Daungmanee, and SCG’s IP team.
- Held a roundtable on AI & IP with the SCG’s IP team. The CTO invited Professor Nguyen to return to SCG in the future to deliver a presentation on VC & Venture Debts.
- Met with Vice Dean Pomsiri Dumrongvute from Chulalongkorn University, Faculty of Law for a discussion on the MOU between Chulalongkorn Law and UW Law. Currently, three UW Law alumni are professors at Chulalongkorn Law.
Tuesday, December 12
- Returned to Seattle