A visit to UW Law inspires prelaw undergraduate scholars from Yakima Valley.
Summer 2022 Newsletter
News & Highlights
Profs. Xuan-Thao Nguyen’s and Elizabeth Porter’s recent trip to Vietnam promotes scholarly exchanges among lawyers, policymakers and business leaders.
Jaclyn Celebrezze and Amanda Stephen join the faculty as experienced legal writing instructors. Celebrezze is an immigration attorney; Stephen is a Certified Public Accountant.
Monte Mills joins the UW Law faculty as a professor of law. He is a nationally renowned scholar on Indian and tribal law and natural resources.
In her new leadership role, Fan will work to increase visibility of the scholarship produced by UW Law faculty and showcase the intellectual vibrancy at UW Law.
Get to know civil rights attorney and scholar David B. Owens.
Additional scholarly work by UW Law faculty:
- Considering a Right to Repair Software| Robert W. Gomulkiewicz, Berkeley Technology Law Journal, Vol. 38 (forthcoming, 2023)
- The Injustice of 1.5˚C–2˚C: The Need for a Scientifically Based Standard of Fundamental Rights Protection in Constitutional Climate Change Cases | Lauren Sancken, Andrea Rodgers & Jennifer Marlow, Virginia Environmental Law Journal, Vol. 340 (forthcoming, Fall 2022)
- Lauren E. Sancken, Mireille Butler and Phil Lentz. Speakers, "Using Therapeutic Principles in the Legal Writing Classroom." Legal Writing Institute Biennial Conference (July 22, 2022). Butler summarized the talk in a Three-Minute Legal Talks episode.
In the Media
The latest news stories featuring faculty, students and alumni:
Prof. Peter Nicolas gave commentary to Vulture on the controversy over a small interpolation sample in Beyoncé's Renaissance album, drawn from Kelis's "Milkshake."
- Who gets to invent? (Anna Bakhmetyeva and Jennifer S. Fan; Source: Seattle Met)
- Inslee declared Washington COVID emergency 900 days ago, and never rescinded it (Hugh Spitzer; Source: The Center Square)
- Mickelson, LIV golfers tread the same legal path as cowboys, bowlers (Douglas Ross; Source: Bloomberg Law News)
- Federal court affirms First Amendment right to film police (Mary Fan; Source: San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Are robots masters of strategy, and also grudges? (Ryan Calo; Source: NPR)
Mark your calendar for these upcoming events:
- We Robot | September 14-16, 2022 | In-person event. We Robot is an interdisciplinary conference that brings together leading scholars and practitioners to discuss legal and policy questions relating to robots. Since its inception in 2012, the conference has fostered dynamic conversations regarding robot theory, design and development. The program is open to students, faculty, staff and the general public.
- Golden Alumni Reunion Celebration | September 16, 2022 | In-person event. Class of 1972 alumni are invited to William H. Gates Hall for a hosted cocktail reception in honor of the 50th anniversary since graduation. Doors open at 4:00pm. Registration is required and more information is available from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Professional Mediation Skills Training Program | September 30, October 1-2, October 8-9, 2022 | In-person event. This basic professional mediation skills training course will focus on collaborative, facilitative, interest-based mediation.
- Tech Policy Lab Distinguished Lecture | October 5, 2022 | In-person event. Please join the Tech Policy Lab for a conversation with Danielle Citron at 6:30 p.m. PDT. The Fight for Privacy: Protecting Dignity, Identity, and Love in the Digital Age.
- Innovative Justice Speaker Series | October 12, November 2 and November 16, 2022 | In-person event. These lunch hour events feature attorneys working on innovative social justice programs.
- Entrepreneurship and the Law | October 18 and November 1, 2022 | In-person event. This event is sponsored by the Asian Law Center.
- 35th Annual Indian Law Symposium | December 9, 2022 | Virtual event. The program, co-sponsored by the Washington Law Review and the Native American Law Center, will feature a full set of topics from panelists across the country. Registration opens September 6.